Sunday, December 28, 2008

BEST OF 08.. AS THE OTHERS SEE IT


While I decide if I will compose my own best of music in 2008 list, here are the top sites of which I agree with on their selections.
The results are quite similar it's true, but still interesting to me nonetheless. Really I was quite surprised when it came time to make a list and look at others, that there were actually so many full length albums from 2008 that I really enjoyed. More so than in the past two years, that's for sure.
Resident Advisor broke it down in three categories: 
I find it particularly interesting/amusing that in the year that wrote "death of minimal techno" in headlines, Ricardo Villalobos was named the #1 DJ of the year. ??

Little White Earbuds categorized by singles (parts 1-4), top 10 albums, and most enjoyable, top 5 non commercial mixes of 2008, all of which are available to download.

The "best of" categories on beatport are far to extensive to list here.. go digging.. it's ALL there.

Critical review site Textura offers an informative series of top 20s; each and every album/compilation/EP and 12" is accompanied by a brief yet detailed review.

Finally, I appreciated reading the beatportal recap of 2008: a year in electronic music news.
Have a look around the site for more specific best of charts.

Also more close to home, "84" over at 84/85 posted his year end best of 2008 full length albums, and is worth looking at as well. Definitely in agreeance with him on most of his selections. just maybe not the real band-y ones...

No comments: