Friday, January 23, 2009

I PLAY FAVOURITES (for what it's worth..)

Throughout most of December a good portion of my headphone intake was exclusively reserved for reviewing albums released in 2008, which led to my conclusion that 2008 was a year of quality production in the various sub genres that I favor, from minimal techno to nu-disco.
In no particular order (with one exception**) these albums had at one point in 2008 been on constant rotation in my headphones, each one complimented a mood, enhanced my situational surroundings,  and triggered an emotional receptor in my brain in that precise way only music is capable of.



KELLEY POLAR- I NEED YOU TO HOLD ON WHILE THE SKY IS FALLING
One of my all time favourite albums remains Kelley Polar's first album, from 2005 titled "Love Songs From The Hanging Garden". This album is a direct continuation of his unique style, but with a polar opposite theme from the first. This is some of the most beautiful music in the world, I am convinced. I've yet to come across another artist in any genre who comes close to creating and arranging like Kelley Polar


A very pleasurable listening time to be had with this album. Mango seems to fit many moods, from back ground to direct focus, the sounds are soothing and reminiscent of something Pantha Du Prince might produce. Obviously German.



Admitedly I slept on this for most of the year, dismissing it as one of "those bands" that "those kids" are listening to. Turns out yeah they are.. for damn good reason. This album became an instant favourite, with some extremely mixable songs into other genres. This album also seems to have made it onto just about everyones "best of" list, and has been highly regarded as a leading album in the nu disco genre that blew up in 2008.



So the title of this album couldn't possibly be more suiting. Definitely make-out album of the year that I didn't make out to.
Also great to melt away on prescription pain meds if the make-out option isn't available.
That aside, this French producer has his own very unique style that places him in another league of french pop that seems untouchable by any other.



GLASS CANDY- B/E/A/T/B/O/X
A big transition for me in 2008 was the re-acceptance of lyrics. On the large scale, I generally view lyrics as getting in the way of the music I am trying to enjoy. Of course much of that opinion comes from the fact that most often lyrics and electronic music don't mix.  Discovering Glass Candy has provided me with a pleasure I didn't know I was missing, and has reminded me how fun music can become with the addition of the right voice. It makes sense that I've opened up to bands like Glass Candy and H&LA whose vocalists have unusual tones, which complement the music instead of getting in the way.
This album actually came out at the end of 2007, but remained unknown to me until the later part of 08, at which point it became an integral part of my obsessive rotation.



MINILOGUE- ANIMALS
A subtle beauty of minimal enjoyment.  Though I haven't spent countless days listening to this to know the full length inside out, I have thoroughly enjoyed it on the occasion I pick to listen to it. A good reminder that 2008 did not kill minimal. not even close.


**The exception would of course be Morgan Geist's Double Night Time. Number One. See previous posts depicting my obsessive love for this album and the man who made it.

Also Secret Diary by College, but I already mentioned it in a separate post, so no need to reinstate. 

No comments: