Saturday, November 29, 2008

IMPORTANCE OF PLACE... A SIDE NOTE


Over the years I have been subjected to numerous voices in my life trying to reinforce the idea that place does not matter in ones life. They continue to argue that what matters, above all else, is that  you can be happy in yourself, where ever you are.
I understand the theory, to a degree, but have tried to argue the importance of place using what I know and feel, based on my own experience. Now I have a new source to stand behind. Richard Florida, a U of T professor known for his extensive research behind his publications, has a new book, suitably titled Who's Your City. Based on 25 years of world wide research backing the idea that place is in fact as important, if not MORE important than the typical WHAT will I do/WHO will I do it with, this book is full of conclusive information that is currently doing wonders to help me understand why I feel like an alien amongst my fellow Canadians. I am simply in the wrong country.
I would like anyone who has ever argued the above with me to read the following exert from Who's Your City, and then approach me for a further educated discussion.
Furthermore, thank you Richard Florida, and on a more personal level, Clara. I needed this.

The following is a direct paragraph from Who's Your City. chapter one: The Question of Where.

"I want you to think hard about the following questions.

1. How do you like the place you're living now? Is it somewhere you really want to be? Does it give you energy? When you walk out on to the street- or the country lane- in the morning, does it fill you with inspiration, or stress? Does it allow you to be the person you really want to be? Are you achieving your personal goals? Is it a place you would recommend to your relatives and friends?"


No comments: